Emailer not sending emails

[UVA]Scooby
Site Admin

Emailer not sending emails

Post by [UVA]Scooby »

Ok so as most of you know, some time ago, Gmail started blocking the emails we send so players cannot use the password recovery system,
those who try, don't receive the email with the reset code... so the system is pretty useless as it stands.

It took me a long time to make and get working and will take some removing,
but with it only working for some we cant really keep it as it is.

I don't know how often players are trying to recover their passwords, but one possible option would be to send the email to a second person,
maybe an admin, who could forward it on. This wouldn't be great if this is gonna be a regular thing. (ten times a day for example).

Are there any other suggestions for other ways we can authenticate people?
either another fix for what we have or something new, this would need to be something unique for the player,
I don't think something as simple as your mothers maiden name or your first pet etc, would be good enough.

Suggestions? :?:
[UVA]Acrope

Re: Emailer not sending emails

Post by [UVA]Acrope »

security questions have been used for a long time now with success. now everything seems to be going to text message notification with code, at least here in the states.

other than text, email, or security questions, really the next step would be seed phrases such as what protects crypto wallets.

- Acrope
[UVA]Scooby
Site Admin

Re: Emailer not sending emails

Post by [UVA]Scooby »

I think they would just forget the phrase though!
I know they're supposed to make a note of it, but they wont.
half the time they cant even remember their account names.

For now i think I'm going to remove the stored gmail emails,
this will give the players the chance to store a new recovery email address once logged in,
It will mean some of them will need to create a new email address to use, not the end of the world i guess,
and at least they'll have a way to recover their account if they forget their pass.